On to greener pastures and better soups . . . Expirement #3! For this recipe, I tried a Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup (with chili and lime) (recipe below as well). This is a WONDERFUL alternative to a chicken noodle soup! It's thick and hearty, but not as heavy as a chili or the afforementioned Carribean Black Bean soup. The flavor is not nearly as complex as the Black Bean Soup, either; I can see this quickly becoming a "sick day" staple for me, as it's fairly easy to prepare, and a great bone-warming, soul food. I *LOVE* soul food.
Minor changes I made:
- Less Chicken broth, becuase I prefer thicker, stew like soups . . . I only used 5 cups of Chicken broth instead of the recommended 8. This reduced the overall servings of the recipe to 6 instead of 10 servings.
- No Cilantro because it tastes like soap. Seriously, it does . . .
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced (3 cups)
- 4 celery ribs, diced (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, roasted, or 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 1 pound or 3 cups)
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (about 1 pound boneless chicken breasts)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
Preparation1. Heat oil and butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until butter melts. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until tender and almost caramelized. Add celery, and cook, stirring often, 10 more minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds, being careful not to brown garlic.
2. Add peppers and next 4 ingredients, and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, broth, and bay leaves; bring soup to a low boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in chicken, and cook 2 more minutes. Skim any foam from the top of the soup while cooking, and discard. Remove bay leaves, and discard. Divide soup evenly among individual bowls, and top with cilantro and lime wedges. Serve immediately.