Soups truly are the best meal in the world! It's a full meal in one single bowl, and it warms you from the inside out! I recently spent some time searching for good soup recipes to try, and came up with 22 (yes, I know . . . that's a LOT of soup! Maybe it will be enough to quench my obsession with fall soups!)
So, last week I made my first experiment . . . Caribbean Black Bean Soup . . .
AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!!!
This one is a TOTAL winner. Thick and hearty like a chili, but TANGY! It's definitely a soup that will stick to your ribs on a chilly fall afternoon. The only change I made was no avocado or cilantro. I think that gives this tasty soup too much of a Spanish vibe for me, plus I dislike cilantro. Also, big fan of the shredded chicken . . . not sure why it's so much better than cubed chicken, but it is . . . just trust me on this one.
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (14-oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Toppings: diced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation1. Sauté onion and next 4 ingredients in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender and fragrant. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute.
2. Stir in tomatoes and next 4 ingredients until well blended. Stir in chicken. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 2 hours. Shred chicken with two forks in Dutch oven. Add black beans, and cook 10 more minutes. Stir in salt. Serve with desired toppings.
Note: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days, or freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator. When reheating, add water or canned broth to reach desired consistency.
Anna Ginsberg, Austin, Texas, Southern Living, SEPTEMBER 2008